Cobalt resource reserves and mineral -Lithium - Ion Battery Equipment

Cobalt resource reserves and mineral distribution -Lithium - Ion Battery Equipment

1. Existence in nature

The average content of cobalt in the earth's crust is 0.001% (mass), and the total amount of cobalt in the ocean is about 2.3 billion tons. Nearly 100 kinds of cobalt-containing minerals are known in nature, but there are very few individual cobalt minerals.

According to data from the United States Geological Survey (USGS), most of the proven cobalt resources in the world are hosted in nickel-bearing laterite deposits, and the rest are mostly hosted in nickel-copper sulfide deposits, which are mainly distributed in Australia, Canada and Russia.

The cobalt resources of Kinshasa and Zambia in the Democratic Republic of Congo are mainly hosted in sedimentary copper deposits. In addition, it is speculated that there are nearly 2.3 billion potential cobalt resources on the earth in seabed manganese nodules, which shows that seabed manganese nodules are an important prospective resource for cobalt.

There are about 100 known cobalt-bearing minerals. Important cobalt minerals are: sulphur cobalt ore (Co₃S₄), fiber pillar (CuCo₂S₄), arsenic cobalt ore (CoAsS), arsenic cobalt ore (CoAs₂), cobalt (3CoO·As₂O₅·8H₂O) and so on. There are four types of important cobalt ore in the world: ①copper-cobalt ore; ②nickel-cobalt ore, including sulfide ore and oxide ore; ③arsenic-cobalt ore; ④cobalt-bearing pyrite. These cobalt ores have low cobalt content.(Lithium - Ion Battery Equipment)

2. Global reserves and distribution of cobalt resources

According to the latest statistics of the United States Geological Survey in 2015, the world's proven terrestrial cobalt resources are about 25 million tons, and the reserves are 7.2 million tons. The reserves are highly concentrated in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Australia and Cuba. The distribution of cobalt resources in the world is very unbalanced, and the reserves of Congo (Kinshasa), Australia and Cuba together account for 68% of the total global reserves. Congo (DRC) is the country with the most abundant cobalt reserves. As of 2014, the country's cobalt reserves reached 3.4 million tons, ranking among the top. Australia ranks second in the world with reserves of 1.1 million tons. Cuba ranks third in the world with reserves of 500,000 tons. Followed by Zambia, the Philippines 270,000 tons; Russia, Canada 250,000 tons; Brazil 85,000 tons; my country 80,000 tons; the United States 37,000 tons; New Caledonia 20,000 tons and so on.

3. Reserves and distribution of cobalt resources in my country

There are not many cobalt ore resources in my country, especially independent cobalt deposits, which are mainly associated with iron, nickel, copper and other minerals. There are four types of deposits: magmatic type, hydrothermal type, sedimentary type and weathering crust type. Magmatic sulfide copper-nickel-cobalt ore and skarn iron-copper-cobalt ore are the main ones, accounting for more than 65% of the total; followed by volcanic sedimentary and pyroclastic sedimentary cobalt ore, accounting for about 17% of the total reserves. The reserves of a single cobalt ore account for only about 2% of the country's total cobalt ore reserves.

Common and associated cobalt deposit types

The classification of co- and associated cobalt deposits is generally subordinate to the main ore. The existing cobalt deposits in China can be divided into four categories according to the genesis of the deposits, namely magmatic, hydrothermal, sedimentary and weathered deposits. The four categories can be further divided into nine sub-categories according to the type of industry.

There are currently more than 150 known cobalt deposits in my country, which are distributed in 24 provinces (regions), mainly in 6 provinces including Gansu, Shandong, Yunnan, Hebei, Qinghai and Shanxi. 30%, other provinces are 10.4%, 8.5%, 7.3%, 7.1%, 6%, the sum of the reserves of the above 6 provinces accounts for 70% of the national total reserves, and the remaining 30% of the reserves are distributed in Xinjiang, Sichuan, Hubei, Tibet , Hainan, Anhui and other provinces (autonomous regions).

According to the tectonic location of concentrated distribution and output of deposits, it can be roughly divided into the northern margin of Junggar-North Tianshan metallogenic belt, the metallogenic belt of the middle section of North China, the metallogenic belt of the eastern section of the northern margin of North China, and the Kunlun-West Qinling metallogenic belt There are seven important metallogenic belts, including the metallogenic belt in the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River, the metallogenic belt in the western margin of the Yangtze Platform and the South China metallogenic belt.



Contact Us

24 hours online service